Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Not So Fun Road Trip

She got like 3 Feet of air that time!















This week was really really hot, so we laid low around the house. We set up a kiddie pool out back and the girls have had a ton of fun especially in the mud puddles that have accumulated from the sprinkle. Yesterday was the pits. One of my worst fears came true(being stranded on the freeway my kids). We started the day off at 8am filled up our van and headed North for the Canadian border. About 2/3 of the way there after passing an exit which by the way are miles and miles apart in Vermont, our transmission went out in the van. Since we didn't have cell phone coverage Todd started his trek back down the mountain to the exit for help. I was freaking out but I tried to stay calm for the girls, Boston was freaking out but for another reason. So for the next hour I sang every preschool and primary song I knew while nursing Boston. Finally a tow truck pulled up and this old man and a teenager got out to see if I needed help. My prayers had been answered. In the beginning I thought I would pee my pants if someone approached the van while Todd was gone, but I was so comforted to not be alone anymore and they were so nice. The guy checked out the van while we waited for Todd, and confirmed that our trany was probably out. Soon after Todd came jogging in sandals back up the hill... My Hero! Even better our tow truck showed up at the same time. The truck had the biggest bench seat I've ever seen in the back, so we loaded up the kiddies and headed to Barton, VT. Which at first glance I was sure it was the armpit of New England, but I soon came to enjoy the smallest town I've ever been to. The dealership which was more of a run down mechanic shop with a Ford sticker on the window, loaned us a car and we kept on heading North to our final destination Darling Dachshunds of Vermont Puppy Farm! The girls had a blast playin with all the puppies and then reality set in and it was time to figure out how we were going to get home. We headed back to Barton trying to get the car back before they closed. There was no way would could have afforded the mileage to drive it to NH and back. At the same time we were calling everyone we knew to see if someone would be so kind as to make the almost 3 hour trip to rescue us. Luckily our friend Richard came to save the day!! We Love You Richard!! Man we owe him BIG... although we also kept reminding him while Boston screamed the whole way home that surely our Heavenly Father would bless him tremendously. End of story we all made it home safe and sound and that's what matters most in the end... Oh and this is our new baby she'll be joining us Aug 31st!!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

That sucks man! We could have told you about the exits in Vermont! When we first lived there, some friends went with us to the Ben & Jerry's factory. It was only like 3 exits down the freeway ... 35 minutes later we finally arrived! It's crazy up there. I'm glad you guys found help and got home safely. (BTW, we get home in mid-August).

Jordan and Danny said...

All I can say is, oh my gosh THAT SUCKS!! But I'm glad your all safe and your new puppy is so cute!

the splendid life of us... said...

Wow what an adventure, good thing you can keep your cool! I am sure it basically sucked, but at least you have a good story to tell! Your kids are too dang cute!!!!

Emily said...

I love the pictures you put up! So cute! I would have freaked in that situation, you are one brave girl!